Changing Furnace Filters
It’s easy to forget to change your furnace filters. Competitive Heating and Air Conditioning recommends that you change your furnace filters every 30 to 60 days. While that may seem excessive, changing furnace filters when appropriate can be extremely beneficial for your furnace, your home, and your health. There are more than just a few reasons why changing your furnace filter every month can cut down on monthly costs and keep you home comfortable:
- Keep dust out of your furnace. The true purpose of a furnace filter is to keep dust out of the internal mechanism. Dust and contaminants from the air can bring serous harm to your furnace, causing extensive damage in the worst cases. Dust inside of your furnace can break or completely compromise your furnace. This is entirely preventable if you change your furnace filter every month.
- Improve your home’s air quality. While the main purpose of a furnace filter is to keep debris out of the furnace itself, your furnace’s filter also services as an air filter for your home. The filter in your furnace catches large particles from the air that you would have otherwise been breathing in. If your filter isn’t clean, it becomes less effective at catching those large particles, and may actually be releasing the built up debris into your air.
- Spend less each month. Changing your filters frequently means that air flow in your furnace is good. If a filter is clogged with lots of debris, your furnace has to work harder to maintain air flow. The harder your furnace works, the more energy it uses, and the energy it uses, the more you have to pay. Keep your filters clean and you end up paying less in bills every month!
- Extend the life of the furnace. Taking care of your furnace will ensure its continued functionality for a long, long time. The most common reason for furnace failure is due to dirt and dust accumulation from a dirty filter. If enough dust accumulates over time, your furnace can overheat. Prevent this by changing your furnace filter every month.
- Live with peace of mind. Your furnace is far less likely to malfunction or break if you keep it clean and operating well. Changing your furnace filters every month is a very easy job that can save you lots of money and time.
If you are wondering whether or not you need to replace your furnace filter, first consider when you last replaced your filter. If it’s been over a month, you should replace it. If your home has hot and cold spots and it is normally fairly stable in temperature, the culprit may be a dirty filter. Another indication that it’s time to change your filter is the airflow in your home. if the air in your home is not being carried well through the heat ducts, a clogged filter may be preventing proper airflow.
A clogged filter can cause many problems. From dust, debris and allergens building up in your ducts to severe, sometimes irreparable damage inside your furnace, make sure you change your furnace filter monthly. Competitive Heating and Air Conditioning is happy to answer any of your filter or furnace related questions! Contact us or call (262) 534-7930 to speak with an expert today. And remember, service your furnace every year with Competitive Heating and Air Conditioning’s maintenance plan!